Follow this thread for live updates on Ekiti governorship election – The Ekiti governorship election is just a few days away and thus comes the long-awaited July 14th, 2018 for Ekiti people to elect a new governor. The various political parties involved in the election have been engaged in various forms of campaigns to attract the electorate and make them vote for their candidates.
Chief Segun Adewale of Action Democratic Congress (ADC); Chief Bisi Omoyeni, now of Mega Party of Nigeria (MPN); Mr. Akin Aiyegbusi of the Social Democratic Party (SDP); Reverend Tunde Afe of Abundant Nigeria Renewal Party (ANRP); Chief Abiodun Aluko of Accord; Ambassador Dare Bejide of People’s Party of Nigeria (PPN) and Mr Emmanuel Agboola of the Alliance for Democracy (AD) have all been visible in the state in the run up to the election.
They have all created various impacts on the electorate and also in various ways, they have been receiving the reviews of the prospective voters and commentators. The candidates themselves have been highlighting their unique selling points, all for the favour they seek from the people which is their votes.
The electoral umpire, Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), has said that the contest involves 35 political parties and candidates, but certain developments have rejigged the numbers. For instance, Chief Bisi Omoyeni of Mega Party was the candidate of People’s Alliance for National Development and Liberty (PENDEL), but has upstaged Dr Sunday Balogun through a court order. Thus, PANDEL no longer has a candidate in the election, thereby changing the number of candidates.
However, the Ekiti electorate claim they are ready for the various candidates as they file out on Saturday, some of them told Sunday Tribune. The people also said that they are also looking forward to a fair conduct of the polls by INEC, as well as the provision of adequate security for all and sundry by the various agencies saddled with that responsibility.
Part of the activities to show their readiness, according to an observer, is their swarming of the INEC secretariat in Ado Ekiti on Monday last week for their voter cards. The prospective voters had stormed the INEC office in their hundreds, claiming that they wanted their cards, which they had left unattended to for nearly four years since the last election, in the state’s INEC office. Some people in the crowd had even contended that their cards had allegedly been sold by officials of the commission.
As awkward as the timing of the people’s action was, INEC through its public relations officer in the state, Mr Taiwo Gbadegesin, still responded to and acted on their request. Gbadegesin said their cards had been available all along, and that they were being sorted according to their local governments. He said they would be delivered to their various local government secretariats where the people would collect them accordingly.
516 total views, 1 views today